Frequently Asked Questions
• What age do I have to be to climb? We do not have an age limit to climb, young or old, but we do have some rules.
- A child must be able to securely fit into our climbing harness to top rope climb. This is usually around 5 years of age, dependent on size. For kids under 5, we have a kids' bouldering wall with a slide that does not require a harness & rope to climb.
- Children under the age of 13 must be directly supervised by an adult 18 years or older at all times (unless during a specific youth program).
- You must be 13 years or older to belay.
• Who needs a liability waiver form? Everyone entering our facility will need to fill out and sign a waiver. We encourage you to sign our online waiver before your visit. Please be sure to bring your driver's license to verify identity. Minors under the age of 18 must have a parent or court appointed legal guardian sign their waiver online or bring in a signed waiver with them.
• Do I need to sign a new waiver every time I visit? No. Once you fill out and sign a waiver, we will keep a copy of it on file. Waivers will need to be renewed every 2 years.
• When is the best time to come if I have never climbed before? If you just want to try out climbing without learning how to belay, we offer seven auto belays in our kid/beginner room and four in our main room. See our New Climbers page for information.
• Do you have auto belays? Yes, we have seven auto-belay systems in our kids/beginners climbing room and four in our main climbing area. During private group events (usually on weekends), the kid/beginner room may be unavailable. Please call us ahead of time to ensure the room is available if you are interested in using the auto belays in this room.
• Do you have rental equipment available? We have harnesses, chalk balls, chalk bags, belay devices, and climbing shoes available for rent. Although climbing shoes are not a necessity, especially for a new climber, they are recommended. Wearing rock climbing shoes with special grippy rubber will help you keep your feet on the wall. You can always start out climbing in tennis shoes and as you progress, you can rent climbing shoes and try them out! We have great Evolv rental climbing shoes available for $4 a pair. See our rental pricing page for more information.
• I am not climbing and just want to belay my kids. Do I have to pay? You sure don't! You will not be charged if you are not climbing and only belaying. If it is your first visit, you will need to pass our top rope belay test first before you can climb independently with your kids. We will even provide a rental harness and belay device for you free to charge if you are only belaying!
• What should I wear when climbing? Wearing loose, comfortable clothing is recommended. Athletic pants and yoga pants usually work well. Shirt and shoes are required at all times. We require climbers to wear either closed-toe shoes or to bring socks to wear with our rental climbing shoes.
• Is there a weight restriction to climb? There is no specific weight limit when it comes to climbing. However, there are some limitations with our standard rental harnesses: Fits waist sizes 58-107 cm (23-42 in), Fits leg sizes 43-71 cm (17-28 in). We also have several larger rental harnesses that can accommodate guests with waists up to 56 inches and leg sizes 35 inches or larger. Our auto belays do have a maximum climber weight of 310 lbs (140 kg).
• Is there somewhere to store gear and personal belongings? Yes. We have lots of cubbies for storage throughout the gym. In both men's and women's bathrooms, there are lockers available for free day use (BYOL: Bring your own lock). If you are interested in leaving your belongings here for multiple days, you can rent a locker and provide your own lock.
• Can I use my own climbing gear? Yes. You may use your own gear in our facility provided that it meets Onsight's policies and rules. Lead ropes must be a single UIAA approved dynamic climbing rope of at least 40 meters in length and in good condition. If you have a question regarding the condition of your equipment, please ask our staff to inspect it.
• How tall are the climbing walls? In the main rope climbing area, the height of the walls range from 38 feet to 52+ feet. The rope climbing walls in the private kids' and beginners' climbing area are 22 feet tall. There is a smaller kiddie boulder that is 8 feet tall. In the bouldering area, the walls are 15 feet tall.
• Can I share my 10 visit punch pass with my friends and/or family? Yes, punch passes are sharable, but the original owner of the card must be present with each use.
• Do you offer classes? We will be offering a wide variety of classes for all ages and abilities. Please see our climbing instruction page for descriptions of our classes.
• Are food and drinks allowed? Yes, you are welcome to bring in your own food and drinks. We do require that you keep all food and drinks off of the padded floors in the climbing areas. You may use the observation deck and lounge area for food and drink consumption. Alcoholic drinks are not allowed in the facility. We also carry a variety of snacks and drinks available for purchase.
• Is there a place to climb outdoors nearby? You bet! Believe it for not, we live in one of the best hubs for amazing outdoor climbing in the country. About an hour away is the Obed, Foster Falls and surrounding and for world class climbing, there is the Red River Gorge in KY (3 hr away), and there is much, much more!
• Is chalk really necessary? Chalk is not necessary, but it can really help wick moisture from your hands and allow for better friction on the holds. Beginners and children may not start out using chalk, but you may want to use it as you progress in your climbing experience. We offer chalk bags and chalk balls for rent and they are also available for sale in our Pro Shop. Onsight only allows the use of chalk balls in the gym.
• What forms of payment do you accept? All major credit cards and cash